Sunday, August 17, 2014

Reaching Silver Status

I had to blog about this right away because it is one of the most unbelievable travel conversations I have ever had with myself. Yes, I have travel conversations with myself. I like to think of myself as a smart traveler, a little quirky at times perhaps, but this one takes the cake.
 It went something like this:

Me: I'm only $328 qualifying dollars away from silver status with United. I have all of the required miles and more than the correct number of required flight legs. This is great news. I should get pretty close by booking my one way flight to Atlanta at the end of the month. Oh look, if I do that, I'm only $86 away.

Self: Why get close when you can secure silver status right now?

Me: Let me see how much it would be to upgrade to first class. If I did that, it would put me only $7 away. Why isn't first class more expensive?

Self: Try another day. Or wait a few hours. It's sure to go up right?

Me: Wait, the prices are going down! They never go down. Why is first class so cheap?

Self: You know, if you fly first class, you get two checked bags free up to 70 lbs. per bag. Since you are moving that would be very helpful. Remember how hard it was coming back from Washington having to mail a lot of stuff and still ending up over the weight limit? And you had to pay for an extra bag.

Me: If I can find a more expensive flight I'll definitely fly first class. Oh look there's another day that's more expensive. That's perfect. But what about having all those bags? I have to take a bus to Auburn when I arrive in Atlanta.

Self: Wouldn't it be great if your luggage got lost? Then the airline could deliver it for you and you wouldn't have to drag it on the bus with you!

To sum up this whole ridiculous moment in my life. I was waiting for the flights to get more expensive and hoping that my luggage would get lost. Has this ever been a thought of any rational person in the history of air travel? All of this in the name of finally being able to be one of those card carrying members of the united club. Is it worth it? I'll let you know once I am treated to my first upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment