Monday, June 14, 2010

Wild Goose Chase

The school year is officially over, so that means I am that much closer to my departure date. This also means I have about a million things to do before I leave. Luckily, Cheryl found me a great flight out of JFK with only one stop in Dubai. Yay hooray for Cheryl! It looks like this set of flights will be longer than traveling to Australia.

On to the wild goose chase. Today was the day for me to figure out how I was going to get the long list of vaccinations that I needed to enter Tanzania. I first tried my doctor, but to no avail. Because all of the things I need are not normal I needed to go to the health department. So that's where I went today, and boy was it crowded. Sadly, they were only able to tackle 2 of the shots I needed, so they gave me a shady looking scrap of paper with just a phone number on it saying it was the number for a travel clinic. I then called the shady number and left a message hoping for a reply. While waiting for the phone call back, I went to the bank to tell them that I would be leaving the country and to please let me use my debit card while I'm away. (I had an incident in Greece a few years back) After a strange look from my teller about where I would be going, I was on my way again.

A few hours later, it was determined that they were able to inflict all necessary pain that I would need for my adventure, but that it would cost me several hundred dollars. Awesome, I really wanted to pay more money for this trip. Oh well, it's all about the experience and part of the experience is all the stuff you have to handle before you go.

4 comments:

  1. You should be use to wild goose chases..you work in education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi ms. dowd i think your already on your flight to tanzania well by
    sencerlly,
    nadia.C

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohh and i forgot to ask What was the problem in greece becuse i think thats important to know...
    post back cause i am trying to go to your blog every day and when i go their is no more to read. pleassssssssssssssse write more well bye
    sencerly,
    Nadia Carbajal


    P.S.
    i miss you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nadia,

    So great to see you checking out the blog. I don't actually leave for Tanzania until July 9th, but I have had to start getting ready. I will try to get a post up every couple of days, but I'm not sure how much time I will have on the internet while I'm there. Keep checking though!

    Miss you too and hope you are having a fun summer so far!

    ReplyDelete