Friday, January 24, 2014

Oh the Humanity...Shopping Locally at Charity Shops

I've been off the grid for the past couple of weeks, but there is good reason for that. I have been in the process of moving and putting down some roots even if they are temporary.

As many of you know, I have been living out of a suitcase since I left Amsterdam on July 1, 2013. I have been bouncing around from place to place, staying with family and friends and occupying space in the residences of various people and establishments along the way.  So now I'm here, in Port Townsend, Washington with a little place with a kitchen and some other important rooms where I can work on my writing and whatever projects may come my way for the next six months. I'm living the writer's dream.

Speaking of projects, Tim and I have decided to save some pennies and build/refurbish our own furniture. This means that I have become a regular at places like Good Will and the recycling center. I'll admit, I was not thrilled about having to do this, but money dictates a lot. Let's face it, freelancing is not a gold mine (at least for me), so adjustments must be made. Luckily, this lovely area where I am currently living has a wealth of "charity shops" as they are sometimes called. One in particular is Habitat for Humanity, and there are several of them in this area. They are fabulous! There are so many benefits to shopping this way if you have the time. Spending just over $200, we were able to get so much, and with a little paint and effort, we are going to have a nice looking space.

Besides finding furniture and other items (like a brand new suitcase for $35, score!), it's good for the environment. It's the reuse part of the three R's in action, and it's a good thing. Habitat for Humanity is also a great organization, and the people who work at the store are volunteers. They want to be there, and they were so friendly and helpful it made me wonder why I would want to shop anywhere else. The money that is raised from the store goes right to helping to build affordable housing for people in the area, so not only am I getting a great deal on furniture and helping the environment, I am helping people too!

Check out the first of a few of the DIY projects we are working on. Pretty spiffy right?
Before

After

No comments:

Post a Comment