Monday, July 19, 2010

First Weekend in Baga

 Friday Night:
There was a bit of drama surrounding the music festival, and I was only able to enjoy one night of it. I don't really have words to describe what I saw, but we entered as a Belgian band of twelve year olds were singing "I Love Rock and Roll." This soon moved on to the group of men in pj's but not just any pj's, these were flowered and mismatched and just wonderful to watch hopping around the stage. For a very small town, this was quite the venue. I took lots of video, and like everything else, I will post it all when I get home. After PJ's we had the happiest African in the world with a big smile on his face and playing the tambourine. The icing on the cake though was the man with the South African jazz band who came out wearing a rainbow clown wig, a kilt, puca shells around his ankles while jamming to the bongo drums. Classic! We nicknamed him Mr. Happy Toast for reasons that I don't have time to explain.

After listening to some diverse, yet awesome music, Lucas walked the white person parade back to CCS. 

Saturday:

I tried to hard to sleep in, but my body has really adapted to waking up at 7:30 for some reason, so I just stayed under my mosquito net for a while not wanting to wrestle with it unless I really had to.

Basically, the whole day consisted of walking around exploring the town and going back and forth to Summer house because I kept forgetting to pack things in my backpack. This is a daily ritual for me because just when I think I have everything for the day, I get to main house and realize that some critical thing like a bathingsuit is missing. This was what most of my Saturday looked like. That and walking back and forth to the bank not to get money but to show people where it was. Yes, I do know how to get somewhere here thanks to my English students who think I am an idiot. No, I take that back I don't know for sure if they think I am an idiot but I can infer.

Lunch was very interesting on Saturday because we  ventured off of CCS property and down the street to try some chips myiye (I have no idea how to spell that) Picture an omlette with fries in it, and you have my lunch. I am not sure yet exactly how I feel about it. I'll keep you posted.

That night we were all ready to go to the festival again, but we were sad to find out that we did not get an extention on our curfew and decided to go to Hillside for some beverages. It's so nice to bond with my tripmates. Then, we were in by 10 and I think I was sleeping by 10:15. It is completely exhausting here.

Ok internet time up......time to leave. More tomorrow about Sunday and Monday tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Erin,
    So glad your trip is going well. It is great to read your blogs. All is well on the home front. Everyone keeps asking about you. Looking forward to our vacation next week. Keep writing.
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. all well here BUT I have so much to tell you.. read your email for the news. It is rather interesting. KEEP up the great travel tales.

    ReplyDelete