Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Real Work Begins

When I sit down at the computer in the small internet cafe (I use that term very loosely) my mind goes completely blank, and I don't remember what day it is, how long I have been here or what I did this morning. Each day has felt like about a week, not because I don't want to be here. It is quite the contrary. I really love it here, but rather because the days are so filled with new information, and I think my brain is reaching capacity.

I have taken lots of pictures and all sorts of video yesterday, and I am hoping to be able to post a couple pictures to the blog in the next couple of days, so keep looking.

Let me start with yesterday which was the 13th. It was the first day of placement, so I had to be at breakfast by 7:00 to be on the bus by 7:30. Now this is Tanzanian time, so we didn't actually leave until closer to 8. I am liking Tanzanian time especially in the morning. Then I was off to drop everyone off at their placements because mine was one of the last. I have to say I was a bit nervous because I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to be doing. Turns out it was just a day for introductions and a tour.

Things were going well, and my small group of adults was doing a great job at speaking English and I was learning a bit of Swahili myself. This all went horribly wrong when the one woman in the group who had said very little the whole morning suddenly stood up and said in perfect English, "Teacher, I don't feel well." She got about half way to the door , swayed a bit, and fell backwards. Luckily I was behind her to catch her. Being a fainter myself I know what it is like. While I panicked, everyone else was very calm. Lucas went out to call a pujaji (not sure of the spelling, but it is a motorbike that pulls a car for about 3 people. Meanwhile she was just laying on the concrete floor. So scary! Eventually her ride came and she was sent off to the hospital. Needless to say we were pretty much done for the day, so Lucas gave me a tour of their  art studio. I got to see a couple of guys painting some amazing art. I can't wait to buy some to take home with me. 

After lunch, we had another Swahili lesson which consisted more of repeat after me and what does this mean. The real fun came later when we went to see the Zawose Family.

They are a polygamous family of about 70 members who travel all around performing traditional Tanzanian music and dance. More on this later, but it is time for lunch.  :o)