Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

African birthday was a great success. Despite the fact that I was recovering from a somewhat serious bout of stomach problems, I was well enough to enjoy the day. I spent the morning in bed and wandered up to the main house to fall asleep on the couch on the porch. Success!

I also managed to eat a full meal and enjoy some of the delicious cake that our wonderful kitchen staff made for me. It was beautifully decorated with my name on it, and not only did everyone sing Happy Birthday, but they also sang the Swahili "cut the cake" song that I love so much. The guys danced of course, and it was just a great night. Rounding out this lovely meal were some very appropriate gifts from my fellow volunteers. There was Little Wemba the carved twiga, some chocolate, an Obama/map of Africa Khanga, and an adorable card signed by everyone.

Later we headed off to Hillside so I could have my birthday club soda. I'm crazy I know!

Continuing with my extended birthday month, I will be leaving for Safari tomorrow morning (Thursday) after lunch. I will be gone all weekend, and I am soooo excited to see some simbas and twigas!

I will be taking tons of pictures and will be happy to share them when I return.

Baadaye!

1 comment: