Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Day at the Beach



Hello again,

Day 3:

This afternoon (well actually I am posting this on Wednesday morning) we went to Manly Beach. We had to take a ferry for about 30 minutes. Fortunately, while on the ride there was a major sailing competition going on in the harbor. The sailboats were darting past each other seemingly only inches away. The ferry even had to blow the horn once because they were getting so close.

When we got to Manly, it was still pretty cloudy, but we decided to walk down to the beach anyway. On the way there, we came upon a gallery that had all kinds of traditional Aboriginal art. We met a woman named Mel and she told us all about what the different styles of art meant. For example, the pictures that are designed with dots are actually arial maps to show different locations. The less profound the dots, the more secret the map is. Also, if there are pictures of animals with hatch marks in different spots, that tells you what part of the animal is safe to eat. It also shows the internal organs and the most humane way to kill the animal. This is all told through art....amazing. I bought a book about Aboriginal art, and I can't wait to share it with you when I get back.

Out at Manly Beach, Journey had some time to relax and enjoy the beach life. He had to be careful though because there were some nasty rip tides.

When we got on the ferry home, the sun finally came out, go figure. After a rest at the beautiful hotel, it was off to dinner at a place called Wolfies right on the harbor with an awesome view of the opera house. The food was great and they even served their surf and turf on a huge metal stick hanging from a stand. So far the food has been very similar to food that you can find in the states, although I have seen kangaroo on the menu twice. I haven't been brave enough. Perhaps in Brissy.

That reminds me, I am headed into the Blue Mountains today and then up the coast to Brisbane to visit lots of friends. I will also be going to be celebrating Boxing Day with my friend Amy's family. What can you find out about Boxing Day so I can be prepared when I go?

I'm not sure how the internet is going to be for the next couple of days, but I will post again as soon as possible. Keep your comments coming, I love hearing from you all!

Ms. D

6 comments:

  1. Ms. D. We read all of the great news. Ms. B. typed you a zillion questions including why are the Blue mountains blue and why did that kangaroo look like that? Then, they disappeared when she signed in. AUWE. It's so fun to see what you are doing. Birwa wants to know about boxing day and hopes you answer before her last day on Thursday. Ms B is gone to her conference on Weds. so we'll get back to you then. In the meantime, we wonder..have you seen any flying foxes? Been to Banzai beach yet? Please tell Journey to be careful at the beach.and in case you wondered PLC went well. Hugs from Fla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did journey really go in the water with you?
    and i hope you have fun over there.
    did you like your hotel and your room
    hope you had fun at the beach
    hey miss dowd i wonder who is your friend you went with?
    wll got to go

    sencerly
    nadia carbajal

    ReplyDelete
  3. i fells like the week is going fast
    but all of us miss you
    we want you back
    becuse your the best teacher i have ever had
    i wish you can be here for the party and the show we are having in the cafeteria
    bye gotta go
    sencerly
    nadia carbajal

    ReplyDelete
  4. journey in the bed looks so cute,plus you have a big bed.hope you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. jennyffer said,is that kangarroo dead! helped by alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss you all too! I was so happy to get on the computer tonight and find lots of comments to read. No, the kangaroo wasn't dead, he just wanted to show me his lovely belly. I hope all went well with your projects and presentations. I can't wait to see them when I get back. I bet you all did awesome! I have not seen any flying foxes, but I am going to the Australia Zoo in a couple days, so I may see one then. I'm not sure where Bonzi beach is, but there is a Bondi beach that I didn't get a chance to go to. We went to Manly Beach instead.

    ReplyDelete