Sunday, December 13, 2009

I'm Finally Here!

Wow what an adventure I have had already. I got to the Orlando airport just in time to find out that we were delayed for over a half hour. This caused some trouble when we got to Los Angeles. We had to practically run down a VERY long hallway. We got to the gate just in time for our 14 and a half hour flight. This was after my 4 and a half hour flight I had already taken!

Journey and I settled in for some pasta dinner, a long nap, and a super long flight. I wonder how many miles it is from Orlando to Los Angeles and then from Los Angeles to Sydney? If you look at the TV screen that was in front of my seat, you can see how far I had traveled when I had 3 hours and 40 minutes left of my flight.

I know that Mrs. Khan's class has been trying to figure out why my plane had to cross the Pacific Ocean instead of the Atlantic. Any thoughts?

Australia: Day 1
After I got Journey through customs at the airport, we took a train into Sydney to an area called The Rocks. Can you find out what the Rocks was used for when Australia first became a country?



After our train ride, we walked around trying to find our hotel. On our way trudging our luggage around the Sydney harbor, we saw a couple of amazing sights: the Harbor Bridge and the Sydney Opera House. Journey and I also made friends with a couple of Aborigines playing some music on the street. The long instrument that you see is called a Diggeridoo. I bought a cd of the music he was playing so we can listen to it when I get back. What can you find out about Australian music?

Oh and Ms. B, your $5 came in handy. I was able to help a man complete his Australian money collection and get a free ice cream at the same time. They no longer print that money, so it was a great conversation piece. Thanks again!

I am looking forward to your comments, now I am off to start day 2 and see some more great new things!

Ms. D

6 comments:

  1. So glad that I could be of help and you got free ice cream! Can't wait to show this to the students on Monday, which you are already experiencing. Happy that you all made it safely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Dowd Aloha from TAESIS, MS. Burghardt's class. Here are our inquiries! Bree asks: How hot or cold is it? Nour wonders: Why does the native Australian have white paint on his face? Selena thinks that the diggeridoo looks a bit awkward. Sierra wants to know did you get to go into the Sydney opera house? Alfredo queries did you see Nemo as he did hang around there. Joangely wants to know what the music sounds like. She thanks you for buying the CD. Birwa wants to know what airplane company you flew on. Joanna wants to know what the money looks like. Joanet says how did you know how to get there and were you tired? Bruno wonders did you take a boat to the Sydney opera house? What does Australia look like? Is it different than here from Steven. Tatiana wonders did you see Pelicans? Xavier wants to know how many people were in the airplane and we all want to know did you sleep? What your hotel like? How is the weather from Noah. WE MISS YOU and hope you have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ms.Dowd I saw someone play the diggerydoo at Downtown Disney. P.S. It sounds cool! sincerely,
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for all of your questions. The weather has been pretty similar to what it has been like in Florida. It rained yesterday, but today is nicer. The paint on the man's face is to ward off evil spirits according to the aborigine culture. I did get a chance to go into the opera house. It is pretty amazing. I flew on Delta, and it was a pretty big plane so I am thinking that a few hundred people were aboard. I can see the opera house from my hotel room, and it is a short walk away. The hotel I am staying in right now is amazing one of the best ever. It is called the Shangri-La (we splurged a bit for the night). I miss you all too. Check on my class for me. More info on the animals to come...

    Ms. D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Dowd's class wants to know if you rode in the powerboat in your picture and who was that man you were with? Your class is fine by the way:)They are Working hard and learning alot. They miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi everyone,
    I didn't ride in any power boats, but I did ride on the ferry a couple of times. The man in the picture was playing the Australian instrument called a diggeridoo. There are many street performers here. I'm so glad to hear that you are working hard. I hope you have been doing some research on some of the things I have been posting. You know that you can post using the username and password that I left. Benjamin has already done it. Way to go!

    Ms. D

    ReplyDelete