Sunday, December 20, 2009

Koalas and Kangaroos and Wombats Oh My!


I started the day with a brekkie at a place named after Mrs. Campos! They even had dog parking there, quite chic!


Today was what I have been waiting to do in Australia! We went to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. Even though it was raining pretty hard all day, we still go to see all of the animals. The first stop was kangaroo feeding. They were such sweet and docile animals. They would come right up to you to investigate the situation. We got some food and then they flocked to us hopping all the way. We even saw a momma with a joey in her pouch. Its little feet were hanging out of the top. I could have stayed in there all day. They were so great. A couple of them got in a bit of a scuffle and I got a kangaroo scratch on my arm. They have really long claws! Their tails act as an extra leg and is super strong.

Next was the koala cuddle. Her name was Vinny and she was adorable. I had to stand very still like a tree to keep her calm. I wish I could take one home with me. Did you know that they sleep for 22 hours a day?


There were lots of different aged koalas all around the park and we saw a dingo, a wombat, and even a tasmanian devil. It actually looks like a giant rat with big teeth. yikes!

Once we were soaked to the bone, it was time to go home for a snack and a nap.

Tonight Kylie is cooking a traditional Australian meal of beef pies and mashed potatoes. Yummy! We are all going to have a quiet night in so we can get ready to explore the city of Brisbane tomorrow. 

9 comments:

  1. Please bring me one of those koalas! Just wanted to let you know that I thought of you today! As I was traveling down 192, a car was on the wrong side of the road. Ah, the tourist!!! Enjoy Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms.Dowd, it's Alyssa... I just wanted to say "Hi" and let you know that I miss you a bunch! I wish I was there to hold those Koala bears with you. They are so beautiful. I can't wait until you come back so we can all talk about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alyssa!

    It is great to hear from you! The koalas were really amazing. They are very calm and slow moving. I hope you are having a great winter break. I miss you too!

    Ms. D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your item was delivered at 10:51 AM on December 16, 2009 in

    forgot to let you know..they should have it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WE got the "box". Looking forward to opening it when Jess gets home tonight. Miss you.
    Love, The Family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin's elf thanks you for confirming the post office website tracker. I am glad you got it. Have a happy holiday and stay safe. Erin, keep having a good time. Can't wait to hear and see all about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Family,
    So glad you got "the box." I'm glad that you enjoyed the presents. Let me know how the coffee is.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am enjoying the coffee. It is very good.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Erin! We missed you at the Holiday parties...Mary Pat told me about your blog and she's right, I am quite impressed! I LOVE that Koala. I have a few questions..would you be able to approach a koala outside of a preserve or would they hide from you? Do they shed? I think Jim Henson got his inspiration for the muppets from that koala you're holding. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Happy New Year! and thanks for sharing your journey to those of us living vicariously through our brilliant relatives.
    Love,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete